A/B testing (sometimes called split testing) is comparing two versions of something, in this case our email popups, to see which one performs better. With Sumo Email Pro Apps, (List Builder, Scroll Box, Smart Bar, and Welcome Mat) you can compare two or more popups by showing the variants to visitors at the same time. The one that gives a better conversion rate, wins! In this demonstration we will be creating a control popup with two variants, one testing a different size and the other testing a different duration. In this specific demonstration, we will using List Builder.
- Sign into List Builder and create a new campaign. Do this by hovering over Campaigns in the top menu and clicking New within the drop down menu.
- Click Add New Popup
- Click the pencil icon next to the name of the newly created popup to rename the popup Control
- Click on the name of the newly created popup, Control, to open its tab in the top menu. Click on the popup's tab to navigate to the Design tab. Next, choose a template for your popup. In this case we chose Boost. Be sure to click Save
- Navigate back to the Campaign tab and click the "+" icon in the Control popup row to duplicate the popup. Make sure to rename the duplicate popup appropriately, in this case, Variant1 Size.
- Navigate back to the Design tab for the Variant1 Size popup and change the size to X-Large. This will be a variable in our A/B test. Be sure to click Save.
- Navigate back to the Campaign tab and click the "+" icon in the Control popup row to duplicate the popup once again. Make sure to rename the duplicate popup appropriately, in this case, Variant2 Duration
- Navigate to the tab for the Variant2 Duration popup and change the mode of the popup from Smart to Manual, then choose for the popup to display after 15 seconds. This will be another variable in our A/B test. Be sure to click Save
- Congrats! You have just created your first A/B test! Check out the link below to further learn about A/B testing.