- What is Scroll Box Pro?
- Setup & Controls
- Understanding and creating a campaign
- Create & Customize your box (subscribe and success windows)
- A/B testing boxes in your campaign
- Adding additional fields to your box
- Control your box's behavior (when and how often it shows)
- Control your campaign's Display Rules (where they show throughout your website)
- Advanced display customization using JSON
- Conversion and Tracking Pixel Implementation
- Connecting your Email Service Provider(s)
- Download your Scroll Box Subscriber Data
- Activate/Pause your Scroll Box Campaign
What is Scroll Box Pro?
Scroll Box Pro is for people who love growing their email lists. But how does PRO do that magic? Pro enables you to do advanced display targeting of your visitors, A/B testing copy / styles, remove all branding, and more. Most Pro customers see 20-50% more subscribers every day!
Here you'll find detailed documentation for Scroll Box's features, customizing your popup design, configuring your popup based on display rules and behaviors, connecting to external email service providers, and more.
Test different copy, templates, buttons, behavior and more to get more emails. Some people are getting 20-50% more emails after setting up A/B testing and optimizing their pop-up.
Custom Designed Templates
We hired a fancy designer to make 15 gorgeous Scroll Box templates just for you. Look like a pro while growing your email list.
Advanced Display Rules
You can show different scroll boxes for different visitors. Getting a lot of traffic from Twitter? Set up a scroll box just for them. Most customers see a significant increase in conversion the more tailored the scroll box is to the page it's being shown on.
No Branding + VIP Support
All Sumo branding is completely removed. Make it look like you paid thousands for these custom tools. Not only that, but we're here 24/7 to help you if you have any issues.
One-Click Integration with Your Favorite Email Marketing Service
The emails you collect with Scroll Box transfer directly into your favorite email marketing service. Including MailChimp, Aweber, Get Response and many more.⇈ back to top
Setup & Controls
Scroll Box is divided into three areas:
- Sidebar Menu - pause or enable the app, view & download subscriber emails, alter the design, add custom fields, configure the behavior and display rules, perform A/B testing, email integrations, advanced form capabilities, insert tracking pixels and create click triggers.
- Top Menu - create a new campaign or popup, rename/delete/open an existing campaign or popup, or copy the current campaign or popup and create a new one.
- Main Pane - contains the details of the specific feature section.
Scroll Box Overview Dashboard
In the Sidebar Menu, you can access:
Analyze your popup's success usage data and daily statistics. Download your subscriber list to CSV File (Complete list or the last 7 days).
Create a campaign with their own unique set of popups to A/B test display and behavior rules based on certain pages, referrer status, mobile or desktop, and more.
Manage your box's design, fields, behavior rules, tracking pixels, advanced HTML coding, and assigned campaign.
Pause or Activate (Camaign)
Toggles whether your selected Scroll Box campaign is active or paused on your site.
Create multiple boxes and review detailed analytics for multiple tests and choose your most effective box in every campaign.
Control where Scroll Box shows on your site.
Connect and send your subscriber data to your favorite email service provider list. Using Constant Contact for drip campaigns and Mailchimp for newsletters? Connect multiple services easily within Scroll Box's powerful interface.
Simple-to-use design wizard walks you through the configuration for both the "Subscribe" and "Success" box.
Create customized popups and capture more subscriber data for your email list or CRM with additional fields including:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Zip Code
- Website URL
- Text Fields
- Radio buttons
- Dropdown menus
- Hidden Fields
Configure page scrolling Trigger and Frequency. Optional features: Subscriber notifications, Success Redirect URL, Pass Email Redirect URL, and Yield Tech.
Supercharge your Scroll Box and modify your popup at the source by pasting in your own completely custom HTML form code (created by you or a email service provider). Once activated, only the popup impressions are tracked, so Sumo's universal "Forever" cookie that's issued upon successful subscription cannot be issued and your popup frequency is the only way to control the popup's recurrence to your visitors.
Configure Tracking & Conversion Pixels from all analytics software. Supports all tracking pixels including Google Analytics.
List and manage status in all campaigns this popup belongs to as well as create new ones.
Understanding and Creating a Campaign
Having a successfully optimized scroll box is not magic but persistence. Your boxes can evolve over time based on assumptions, but are backed up with data used by running multiple campaigns. You can run these tests using multiple versions of mats in your campaign on your page.
In the top left corner of Scroll Box, click on the "Campaigns" Menu and select "New".
TIP: Alternatively, you can create a campaign in your Scroll Box Home Dashboard by clicking on the "Campaigns" tab in the left menu and clicking on the "Add New Campaign" button.
After creating a campaign or selecting a campaign to use, you will want to add box(es) to the campaign for capturing subscriber information.⇈ back to top
Let's start with designing your Scroll Box popup. Click on the Boxes Menu in the top left corner of Scroll Box and select "New". You can also create a Scroll Box from within a Scroll Box campaign.
As long as you are in the "subscribe" state you're designing the view your visitors will see when they first encounter your box popup.
Using our simple-to-use wizard, our popup builder customization features include:
- Select Template - Access over 22 ready-to-go design templates.
- Template Size - Small, medium, large, extra large. Our templates are responsive, which means based on the size of the browser it is being viewed in, the popup will adjust to display as best as possible. Template sizes will allow you to determine how wide you want your popup to be.
- Box Mode - Choose a specific purpose of your scroll box:
- Email Collect - Capture emails for your email subscriber list.
- Call to Action - Direct users to a specific action URL.
- Twitter Follow - Direct users to follow a specific Twitter account.
- Facebook Like - Direct users to like a specific Facebook URL.
- Call To Action URL - Enter a URL for your button to go to when click on. Be sure to include "https://" or "http://" when entering your URL. Applies to "Call To Action" box only.
- Call To Action Target - Choose whether your button opens in the same window or a new window. Applies to "Call To Action" box only.
- Heading - Customize the copy, font, and color of your heading. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank.
- Body Text - Customize the copy, font and color of your message. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank. HTML is allowed.
- Button - Customize the copy and color of both your call to action and its button. Applies to "Email Collect" box and "Call To Action" box only.
- Email Placeholder - "Enter your email address" or " firstname.lastname@example.org ". Applies to "Email Collect" box only.
Create & Customize Your Success Box
Once your visitors have subscribed successfully they will see the success box as confirmation. Click on the "success" button in the design panel to see your changes. All font and colors are inherited from the box settings.
- Success Heading - Customize the copy for your follow up success box.
- Success Text - Customize the copy of your success box. HTML is allowed. HTML strings included.
- Success Button - Customize the copy of your success box call to action.
- Background Color - Customize the color of your box's background.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success redirect url located in your Behavior tab. You may use either the Success Popup method or the Redirect URL method, but not both.
Save Your Design
After you're satisfied setting up your design, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to top
After creating a campaign or selecting a campaign to use, you will want to test multiple versions of your box to see which one performs the best conversions.
- Add boxes to your campaign - Select the "Boxes & A/B Tests" in the left menu sidebar and click on "Add New Box" or "Add Existing Box" button.
When creating or adding a box to your campaign, we recommend giving each one a easily identifiable name for comparison purposes (especially when testing minor variations across popups). Click on the edit icon next to the current box name to update the title to a more recognizable name.
TIP: You can add as many boxes as you want to perform your A/B testing.
- Set box status to active - Make sure each box in your A/B test rotation's "Active" status is enabled. If enabled, the toggle will be green.
- Evaluate and adjust box frequency - By default, all your boxes are given equal display time to your visitors. Adjusting this slider affects how often the box appears in the rotation to your visitors.
- Review campaign statistics and make adjustments - To view the ongoing success of your boxes, you will want to regularly analyze the results.
Each box's relevant data including:
- Number of boxes - How many times the box is shown to visitors
- Number of Subscribers - How many visitors are subscribed to the box
- Conversion Rate - How many visitors viewed and subscribed to your box
- Statistical Significance - Measurement of the confidence rate for your box
- Variance Improvement - Improvement on the box's success
When creating your box, you can add multiple fields to capture additional subscriber data. To do this, drag available fields across to selected fields to include them in your box. If you're using a service, make sure to check if you need to configure your lists to accept these fields.
Save Your New Form Fields
After you're satisfied setting up your fields, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to top
When your Scroll Box is triggered by your visitors is critical to it's success. Click on the "Behavior" tab to configure the when and how often your popup will display.
Scroll Box detects the page length and is triggered when the user reaches a certain percentage of the screen. You can control the following:
- Trigger Percent - Amount of the page scrolled when Scroll Box appears.
- Display Location - Appears from Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, and Bottom Right corner.
- Slide Transition - Up/down and In from the Side.
Frequency determines how often your visitor will see your Scroll Box if they do not successfully subscribe. You can choose for your popups to "Always Show" to your vsitors no matter what, or you can configure the length of time between when your visitors are shown your popup window based on:
If you would prefer to further customize when your popup displays you can choose from the following two options:
- Do not show if already subscribed or clicked - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already clicked or subscribed through Sumo.
- Do not show if opted out - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already opted out of this app.
Success Redirect URL
After a user successfully submits their information, you can redirect them to a specific URL, such as a special thank you page or a rewards page.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success box. You may use either the Success Box method or the Redirect URL method, but not both. This only works on the
Pass Email Address to Success Redirect URL
An advanced feature when paired with the Success Redirect URL method, pass the subscriber's email address as a variable through either POST or GET methods.
When each visitor converts into an email subscriber, you will receive a notification within Sumo letting you know. You can see all your notifications by clicking on the globe in your Sumo admin bar.
If you're using multiple apps to capture email, sometimes they need a traffic cop on duty to police the user experience effectively. Toggle this feature to ensure your visitor will only see one popup per page (based on the first one they trigger).
Preview & Save Your Behavior Rules
After you're satisfied setting up your behavior rules, you can preview your scroll box on your site by clicking on the blue "Preview" button at the bottom of the window or clicking on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your behavior rules, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to top
If you are comfortable editing code for a website, this is where you can directly edit the placement, fonts, transparency, colors, buttons, and more!
For a complete walkthrough of JSON editing in Scroll Box, please read our FAQ .
Preview your customization
To preview the changes for the Scroll Box, click on the "Preview" button on the bottom of the editing screen.
Save Your Advanced JSON Scroll Box
After you've edited your JSON settings, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Conversion and Tracking Pixel Implementation
Scroll Box works with all types of IMG, IFRAME, or SCRIPT tag pixel(s) for tracking visitors who are shown your contact tab or form.
After clicking into the "Tracking Pixels" menu, paste in your tracking and/or conversion pixel code into the appropriate box to send the conversion data insight to your service platform(s).
Implementing Google Analytics? See our comprehensive Google Analytics Sumo tracking pixel guide .⇈ back to top
Control Your Box's Display Rules
Define where Scroll Box appears on your website. By default, Scroll Box shows on all pages.
Display Rules has 2 settings: "Show" and "Don't Show". One thing to always remember is that a "Dont' Show" rule will always take priority over any "Show" rules.
Rules can be created individually to work independent of each other or defined as a group to work as a rule set.
- Show Scroll Box ONLY the homepage
- Show Scroll Box on ALL mobile devices
- Show Scroll Box on pages with THIS query parameter
Don't Show Examples:
- Don't Show Scroll Box ONLY the homepage
- Don't Show Scroll Box ONLY on a desktop
- Don't Show Scroll Box on ALL pages containing an articles
Creating Multiple Rules
You can add as many rules as you want for all types of configuration on your website. See more examples of rule in action for mobile or desktop situations, specific pages and sections or your entire website.
Save Your Display Rules
After your satisfied setting up your display rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your display rule set, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Collecting subscriber information is important - having is communicate directly to your third party service is ideal.
Connect Your Subscribers Steps:
- In the menu, click on the "Services" menu item.
- Scroll to your third party solution provider and click on the service provider's name.
- Click on the "Connect" button. The service provider's integration window popup will appear and ask you for authorization.
- Once logged in, authorize your account to communicate directly with Sumo Me's Scroll Box.
- Select your service provider's list for subscriber data to go to.
Verify Provider is Connected and Activated
You should see a green "Connected" next to your service provider when successfully connected. If not, then the authorization didn't work. Check your account credentials and try logging back into that service provider account and retry the Connect Your Subscriber steps again.
Integrating Multiple Email Service Providers
You can connect one or many of the service providers we have listed.
For connecting each service, you'll want to make sure that the and select a list for each one to deliver the subscriber data to.
My Email Service Provider Isn't Listed
If you don't see your particular service provider, we recommend checking Zapier's Sumo service integration to see if you can use it.⇈ back to top
We're a big believer in having your data pushed to your list automatically, but if you don't have an email service, we provide you direct access to download your subscriber data.
Steps to Download Your Subscriber Data:
- In the menu, click on the "General" menu item.
- On the top of the screen, you will see an "Email Addresses Collected" heading. To the right of this heading, click on the "Download Last 7 Days CSV" or the "Download CSV" button.
TIP: Did you know we integrate with over 25 Email Service Providers (and growing)? See our current list of integrated third party services for Scroll Box.⇈ back to top
After you have configured your Scroll Box campaign, you're ready to successfully activate it and begin collecting subscriber information.
Click on the "Paused" toggle switch in the upper left-hand menu to activate your campaign. The icon should switch from a red "Paused" to a green "Active" toggle and the Active banner will appear when successfully activated.
Your Scroll Box campaign is now active!⇈ back to top